Friday, April 10, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How much will it cost to register my vehicle?

Title Fees
Transfer Fees
Autos less than 4500 lbs.
Autos over 4500 lbs.
12M Trucks
2000 – 8000
8001 – 1200
12001 and over

A. a) If the weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 pounds, registration is optional. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer's own product has a load of less than 6,000 pounds, registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 pounds, call the County Treasurer's Office.

b)  Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined in  theCounty Treasurer's Office. The exceptions are heavy trucks, trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser's Office.

c)  Reflectorized plate fee is $0.50.

d)  Sales tax will be collected in the tag office if the vehicle is bought from an individual or purchased out of state. The sales tax rate is 6.5% in the. The sales tax percentage will be figured either on the place of purchase, or the place of the buyers residence, whichever is higher. If purchasing from a dealer that has a lower sales tax rate than where the purchaser lives, the purchaser will pay the difference in sales tax when purchasing tags.

e)  The fee to transfer a tag is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax and sales tax if applicable.

Q. What do I need to know about transferring a tag from one vehicle to another?

A. The fee to transfer is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax and sales tax if applicable. The names on the two titles must be the same. If the old tag is expired, it can only be transferred if it is a personalized tag. The old vehicle must be sold or traded in, even if it is not running. As long as the title is still in your name, the plate must stay with it.

Q. I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

A. If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, and the proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle. If two names appear on the title with and/or between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with and between them, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming from out of state must have a VIN inspection.  If you do not have the title because the lienholder of that state keeps it until the vehicle is paid for, you will need to call that lienholder and have a copy of the title faxed to the Nemaha County Treasurer's Office (FAX# 785-336-6000). With your faxed copy, you will then be able to get your vehicle inspected by the Nemaha County Sheriff’s Department. Sometimes the state you're coming from will request something in writing before releasing a copy of the title. In that case we can register your vehicle with a copy of the out-of-state registration. The County will then request the title from the lienholder and send you a copy to take along for the VIN inspection. Titles are issued when the lien is paid in full.

Q. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?

A. You will need the title or MSO (if it's a new car), signed over to you, the sales tax receipt bill of sale, the car's current mileage, and your proof of insurance. When transferring a tag between two cars, you need the current registration or tag number of the old car and the name and address of the person to whom the vehicle was sold. In some cases there may be additional paperwork, such as lien release, power of attorney etc, may be needed.

Q. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?

A. All out-of-state title for used vehicles require an inspection. The fee is $20.00 and can be done at the Nemaha County Sheriff’s Department.  Non-highway and salvage titles are inspected by the Highway Patrol. Kansas Highway patrol inspects vehicles on Tuesday afternoons between 1 & 4 at the Nemaha County Sheriff's office. The fee for Highway Patrol inspections is $25.00

Q. How can I renew my tags if I didn't get a renewal notice in the mail?

A. Take your registration or tag number and proof of insurance to the Nemaha County Treasurer's office, and they will be able to process your renewal. You can go to and reprint the registration renewal notice.

Q. How can I get a refund, and what forms will I need?

A. Bring in your tag, current owner's registration, Social Security number (for a personal vehicle) or Federal ID# (for business or lease vehicles), and name of the person to whom the vehicle was sold to. Refunds are calculated from the month they are received. You can go to to reprint the renewal registration notice.

Q. My tag was stolen. What do I do?

A. You will need to report the plate stolen to the a law enforcement agency. Bring the tag number, police report and proof of insurance, and we will replace the tag for $3.00.

Q. How do I get a personalized tag?

A. The price for personalized tags is $45.00, in addition to other fees and personal property taxes. You will also need to fill out a Personalized tag form.

Q. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?

A. If you have delinquent personal property taxes in ANY county in Kansas, they MUST be paid before vehicles can be tagged.

Q. How can I pay for my tags?

A. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, money order, cashier's check and credit cards.

Q. Where can I go to renew my handicapped placard? Where do I mail it?

A. This is done at the Nemaha County Treasurer office in the courthouse.

Q. Do my tags expire on the first day or the last day of the month?

A. Auto, truck, mopeds and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month based on the first initial of your last name. Heavy trucks (over 12,000 lbs.) and trailers, expire the last day of February.

Q. Why aren't my tags good for a full year?

A. Tag renewals are good for a full year. Tags for vehicles bought new within the year will be good for the period between the purchase date and the expiration date; in some cases this will be for just a partial year. Tags are prorated from the date of sale until the month your tag comes due, which is determined by your last name. See the Tag Schedule table above.

Q. I am a military dependent. Shouldn't I be exempted from property taxes?

A. No. Only the active duty military member is exempt.

Q. Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?

A. No. There are no extensions.

Q. My doctor says I'm permanently handicapped. Why do I have to re-certify for handicap privileges?

A. Law requires re-certification every five years for verification of status of the handicapped individual.

Q. Why do I pay taxes on my leased vehicle when I'm in the military?

A. The leased vehicle is in the leasing company name; therefore, it is the legal owner of the vehicle and not exempt.

Q. I am in the military but a Kansas resident. Do I pay taxes on my vehicle?

A. If the military person and the vehicle are stationed inKansas, the vehicle is taxable. If the military person is a resident of Kansas, but stationed in another state, the vehicle is exempt.

Q. I own businesses in several counties in Kansas. Where do I register my vehicle?

A. The vehicle should be registered in the county where the vehicle is primarily garaged.

Q. I am active duty military, but the vehicle is in my wife's name. Do I have to pay taxes on the vehicle?

A. Yes. The service member must be included on the title in order to be exempt.

Q. Do I have to get a Kansas driver's license if I have Kansas plates?

A. Yes

Q. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?

A. Yes. You first have to acquire a title in your name before it can be sold to another individual or business.


Maximize view disclaimer...